Saturday, September 3, 2011

Marketing jewellery for a social cause


I started learning jewellery-making skills to teach some under-priveleged women to empower them. My goal is to make them entrepreneurs.
There are still women who are living in places from where they cannot travel because the infrastructure is bad or a road does not even exist.

So I thought I have to take the training to them. There is no point in training them, if I cannot find a avenue to sell their creations. There are endless training programs and certificates. But what after that?

The reason I am marketing vigorously is to create markets and then train them on jewel making.

I dont want to degrade any creators by telling outside that these sales support a social cause. I feel that people should buy our jewellery because they like it and not because they feel like charity.

When I approach a mall, or some exihibitions I dont even mention it.
Many of my friends suggested that putting the "social cause-women empowerment" will fetch better markets. But somehow I dont feel like it.

Recently we held an exihibition in Bangalore, and there was a fair response.

No comments:

Post a Comment